Kvaløya Plus is a *new* week in one of our favourite destinations in Arctic Norway. We have been sharing Kvaløya with our guests for many years, and now wish to build on the success of our popular Kvaløya week. Kvaløya Plus is the logical progression, allowing the opportunity to reach more technical summits and ski those hidden runs.
This is a ski mountaineering trip to the island of Kvaløya, close to Norway’s northern city of Tromsø. The mountains are easily accessed by road which runs around the coast along with the pass of Kattfjordeidet, one of the best ski touring areas in the region.
Our Kvaløya Plus week explores the more technical summits of Storstolpan, Storsteinnestinden, Skittentinden, and Store Hollendaren. These summits are all around 1000m and have a lot to offer. Kattfjordeidet's alpine couloirs make for a fantastic playground combined with summits that provide dramatic views of the ocean. It is likely that we will use crampons and axes to climb to the summits or access less skied variations.
The sheer variety of the skiing makes Kvaløya an ideal location for an interesting trip to suit intermediate to advanced skiers and tourers. Kattfjordeidet alone sports open slopes, well spaced trees, and steeper couloirs explaining why the residents of Tromsø describe the area as one of their favourites too.
For 2022, this trip will be based at the Clarion Hotel The Edge in Tromsø.
Ski Mountaineering on the island of Kvaløya
Skiing in the Tromsø area and Kvaløya in particular is a unique experience. For 2021 we will be basing this trip from Tromsø, allowing us to travel by car capitalising on the excellent road network around the fjords, with short distances between ski tours. This allows much greater flexibility to make best use of the prevailing weather.
Many of the days are shorter it terms of vertical distance than we are used to in the alps, giving plenty of time for another lap or descents of many variations or couloirs etc. Later in the season ascents will often be timed to get the best 'spring snow' on sunny aspects, but rarely is there the need for a 5am start in the Arctic Circle.
You can download a sample programme here.
Check out this video from last year shot and edited by Rob Johnson - Film Up High on Kvaløya:
The Kvaløya + Team
In order to provide a unique experience and make the best of you time in the Arctic Circle, we have created a Kvaløya Plus Team. These trips will be led by a dual Ski Instructor and IFMGA Mountain Guide team giving the benefits of both high quality guiding and ski instruction.
Our Kvaløya Plus weeks will be led by two Mountain Guides and a Ski Instructor.
Having an informal but dual discipline team brings a lot of flexibility to cater for groups of different ability or aspirations as well as ensuring plenty of ski coaching or guiding time as appropriate. Of course a big part of experience in Arctic Norway is allowing yourself to take a steadier pace while soaking up the surroundings.
£1700 per person
Maximum 6 people in a group. The minimum number for this trip to run is 1.
We have 10 places available on this trip and will divide into 2 or 3 groups on a daily basis.
- 6 days dual guiding and ski instruction with IFMGA Mountain Guide and BASI ISTD.
- Transfer to and from Tromsø Airport.*
- Accommodation (double or twin rooms). Single rooms are available for a supplement.
- Breakfast and packed lunch.
- All transport during the trip ( including additional costs such as ferries).
What’s not included?
- Flights to and from Tromsø.
- Evening meals (these can be taken in the hotel restaurant or locally).
- Alcohol (please note alcohol is expensive in Norway. This is best purchased at duty free).
- Avalanche safety equipment, and ski touring equipment. Due to this being a specialist trip joining in Tromsø we won’t have extra equipment available. If you have any equipment requirements then please contact us in the first instance. Please read the kit list here.
- Lift expenses. Although this is a wilderness skiing trip, and it’s use is unlikely there is one lift in Tromsø!
- Insurance for cancellation, rescue, repatriation and medical expenses.
A trip to the island of Kvaløya would suit intermediate to advanced ski tourers. The ability to ski off piste is essential for this area with ascents of 800m-1200m per day being fairly typical, with a similarly large descent. Some variations might require steeper skinning and descents of 40 deg. We ask that you are comfortable skinning uphill at a rate of 400m per hour and are comfortable doing kick turns. Please feel free to get in touch if you would like to discuss any aspect of your ski ability or for advice on your preparation.
Find out more about the Off Piste Performance team.
* We will be available to pick up from either the airport or a Tromsø hotel, at a pre-arranged collection time, from 3pm onwards on the start date of your trip. Similarly, we will drop you off (at either the airport or a Tromsø hotel) before midday on the final day of the trip. We are happy to drop off for the first flight out of Tromsø (normally 0630). We will do our best to deal with any delays, but due to the distances involved, if your flight is delayed we may have to ask you to arrange your own onward transport.
Additional information can be found in the links below:
- Off-Piste Ski Ability
- Instruction and Ski Mountaineering
- Ski Instructor & Mountain Guide