Kvaløya in Arctic Norway has been one of our favourite destinations for personal skiing for many years and we are keen to share this magnificent area.
A ski touring trip to the island of Kvaløya, positioned close to Norway’s northern city of Tromsø, visits a unique set of mountains in the Arctic Circle. Kvaløya lies to the west of the Lyngen Peninsula giving fantastic skiing and scenery high above the sea. The mountains are popular with the locals, however there no need to fear the crowds, as there are plenty of descents to choose from.
The mountains rise up to around 1000m and are in many cases surrounded by the sea, with some of the most popular being the likes of Buren, Lille Blåmannen and Steinskardtinden to name a few. Nearby mountains on the island of Senja, Ringvassøya and the Troms Mainland are within easy reach.
Some 300km into the Arctic Circle the snow conditions are reliable, allowing you to ski from the summit to the sea in many cases. The sheer variety of the skiing makes Kvaløya an ideal location for an interesting trip to suit intermediate skiers and tourers. Kattfjorddalen alone sports open slopes, well spaced trees, and steeper couloirs explaining why the residents of Tromsø describe the area as one of their favourites.
Ski Touring on the island of Kvaløya
Skiing in the Tromsø area and Kvaløya in particular is a unique experience. We will be basing our trip from the west side of the island at the tranquil location of Lauklines. On the shore of Nordfjorden, basing ourselves at Lauklines allows us to travel by vehicle capitalising on the excellent road network around the fjords, with short distances between ski tours. This allows maximum flexibility to make best use of the prevailing weather or simply to visit the neighbouring islands of Senja and Ringvassøya.
Many of the days are shorter it terms of vertical distance than we are used to in the alps, giving plenty of time for another lap or descents of the many variations available. Later in the season ascents will often be timed to get the best 'spring snow' on sunny aspects, but rarely is there the need for a 5am start in the Arctic Circle.
You can download a sample programme here.
Check out this video from last year shot and edited by Rob Johnson - Film Up High on Kvaløya:
The Kvaløya Team
In order to provide a unique experience and make the best of you time in the Arctic Circle, we have created a Kvaløya Team. These trips will be led by a dual Ski Instructor and IFMGA Mountain Guide team giving the benefits of both high quality guiding and ski instruction, not to mention enthusiasm for Arctic Norway and the magical skiing the Kvaløya area offers.
Our Kvaløya weeks will be led by two IFMGA Mountain Guides and one BASI ISTD Ski Instructor.
Having an informal but dual discipline team brings a lot of flexibility to cater for groups of different ability or aspirations as well as ensuring plenty of ski coaching or guiding time as appropriate. Of course a big part of experience in Arctic Norway is allowing yourself to take a steadier pace while soaking up the surroundings. We have enlisted the services of Emma Lawrenson as chef and catering manager, to ensure we return to a hearty home cooked meal after a day of ski touring.
£2350 per person
There are a maximum of 10 places available on this trip. Having 3 staff on the trip gives maximum flexibility to divide into small groups for each day on the hill. This is done on a daily basis depending on the prevailing snow and weather conditions, and the group's aspirations. This trip is guaranteed to run with a minimum of 1.
- 6 x days guiding with IFMGA Mountain Guides.
- Additional input BASI ISTD Ski Instructor.
- 7 x nights accommodation (double or twin rooms with shared facilities) and food on full board basis (inc. packed lunch) at Lauklines.
- Transfer to and from Tromsø Airport.*
- All transport during the trip (including additional costs such as ferries).
- Use of avalanche transceiver, harness, axe and crampons on request.
What’s not included?
- Flights to and from Tromsø.
- Alcohol (This is expensive in Norway and is best purchased at duty free).
- Ski touring equipment. Due to this being a specialist trip joining in Tromsø we won’t have extra equipment available. If you have any equipment requirements then please contact us. Please read the kit list here.
- Insurance for cancellation, rescue, repatriation and medical expenses.
Single room supplement £300 for 7 nights (subject to availability).
A trip to the island of Kvaløya would suit intermediate ski tourers. The ability to ski off piste is essential for this area, and slopes of approximately 30 degrees are likely to be encountered. Ascents of 800m-1000m per day are fairly typical. We ask that you are comfortable skinning uphill at a rate of 300m per hour. Please feel free to get in touch if you would like to discuss any aspect of your ski ability or for advice on your preparation.
Find out more about the Off Piste Performance team.
* We will be available to pick up from either the airport or a Tromsø hotel, at a pre-arranged collection time, from 1600 onwards on the start date of your trip. Similarly, we will drop you off (at either the airport or a Tromsø hotel) before 1000 on the final day of the trip. We are happy to drop off for the first flight out of Tromsø (normally 0630). We will do our best to deal with any delays, but due to the distances involved, if your flight is delayed we may have to ask you to arrange your own onward transport.
Additional information can be found in the links below:
Featured Ski Tour Kvaløya
- Off-Piste Ski Ability
- Effective but not efficient, Experienced
- Ski Touring, Instruction and Ski Touring
- Ski Instructor & Mountain Guide